Friday 27 January 2017

Frued screenplay evaluation

To show Frued's theory I attempted to write a screenplay giving Freud's Ego, Superego and ID characters.  I choose a screenplay because i find it easier than making a film. I think the screenplay went well because I managed to introduce the three characters quite clearly, which shows Freuds theory, as you can easily identify which character is what from Freuds psychoanalysis theory. However it didn't go aw well as hoped as i did leave it late to start the screenplay, so I didn't give myself that much time to create a final piece, so the narrative and character development is rushed. If I had given myself more time, then i could have fully developed the characters, showing clearly the ego, ID and super-ego.


This is a screenshot of my final scene. I tried to show the Ego (Bobby) finding a balance between the super ego (Paul) and the ID (Lar). This scene feels very rushed because of the amount of time i left myself to write it, i didn't allow myself to go into much depth. I would have like to have shown a much bigger effect that the ID has on the ego, however I rushed over their friendship and the activities that the Lar get Bobby to do. Instead of the original plan to have Lar get Bobby into alcohol and drugs and have him flying off the handle to show an extreme of the ID, i had the ID convince the Ego to skip class and not do extra circular activities, however i feel like this still shows in a small way the ID because of its nature to have its imitate desire fulfilled, it wants to skip class, so it does, no waiting for a different class or anything. I also wished i had shown the Super ego in a better light, as it is shown to be an over bearing parent, the original plan was for the super egos, job as a police officer to be better involved in the story instead of casually mentioned. 

There is also a lot of dialog in my screenplay as opposed to action. I could have described and set each scene better in detail instead i focused on the characters and there was not much description setting each location. Without much description in the scene it can be hard to interpret camera angles and lighting into it. I didn't really consider lighting when i was writing, so most of the scene don't mention lighting. I tried to incorporate what i could of camera angles for example, this scene when Paul is looking out of the window, i describe what he is looking at so that can be interpreted as a close up of them, however i didn't do much of this throughout he script.





If i were to do this again, i may have picked Lacans Lack instead, because after researching it better, i understood it better than Frueds ID, Ego and super ego and i might have been able to go in slightly more depth with the lack. What is good about my screenplay is that it is in the correct format with numbers marking the screen, the dialog, action and characters placed in the correct places and the headers correctly used. I did't get much chance to edit and spellcheck the work, so what i did god was quickly do it, which means i could have easily missed out on some typos in the work. Next time i will leave myself more time to do the editing.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment